(Please click on the above link for the full policy)
Skipton Parish C of E (VC) Primary School Primary School is committed to ensuring the welfare and safety of all children in school. All North Yorkshire schools, including Skipton Parish C of E (VC) Primary School, follow the North Yorkshire Safeguarding Children Board procedures. The school will, in most circumstances, endeavour to discuss all concerns with parents about their child/ren. However, there may be exceptional circumstances when the school will discuss concerns with Social Care and/or the Police without parental knowledge (in accordance with Child Protection procedures). The school will, of course, always aim to maintain a positive relationship with all parents. The school’s child protection policy is attached below.
Skipton Parish C of E (VC) Primary School is committed to Safeguarding and Promoting the Welfare of all of our pupils. Each pupil’s welfare is of paramount importance. We recognise some children may be especially vulnerable to abuse and that children who are abused or neglected may find it difficult to develop a sense of self-worth and to view the world in a positive way. Whilst at school, their behaviour may be challenging and we recognise that some children who have experienced abuse may harm others. We will always take a considered and sensitive approach in order we can support all of our pupils and recognise that each pupil's welfare is of paramount importance.
Safer Recruitment and Selection
The school pays full regard to current DFE guidance “Safeguarding Children and Safer Recruitment in Education” (January 2007). We ensure all appropriate measures are applied in relation to everyone who works in the school who is likely to be perceived by the children as a safe and trustworthy adult, including volunteers and staff employed by contractors.
In line with statutory changes, underpinned by regulations, the following will apply:
• a CRB Enhanced Disclosure will be obtained for all new appointments to our school
workplace (including volunteers). All staff CRB certificates will be renewed every three years (North Yorkshire LA Policy)
• this school is committed to keep an up to date single central record detailing a range of checks carried out on our staff, volunteers and governors.
• all new appointments to our school workforce from overseas or who have lived
outside the UK will be subject to additional checks as appropriate.
• our school ensures supply staff have undergone the necessary checks and will
be made aware of this policy.
• identify checks will be carried out on all appointments to our school workforce before the appointment is made, in partnership with the North Yorkshire Local Authority. The following staff have undertaken Safer Recruitment training (CWDC) and one of these staff members will be in attendance at interview for all staff and volunteer appointments:
Headteacher: Ms Lucy Peberdy
School Governor: Mr David Portlock
Safeguarding Information for Pupils
All pupils in our school are aware they can talk to staff if they are worried. The school is committed to ensuring pupils are aware of behaviour towards them that is not acceptable and how they can keep themselves safe.
The Senior Designated Person for child protection in our school is:
Headteacher: Ms Lucy Perberdy
Deputy Senior Designated Person for child protection in our school is: Mrs Gill Stinton and Mrs Helen Large